Expatriate Tax

Expatriate Tax

Are you moving or retiring abroad or are you moving to the UK to live or work? The field of expat tax is complex but PetersonSims offers specialist advice and we can guide you

Are you:

  • moving from the UK to retire or live abroad
  • living outside the UK and looking to return
  • a UK national living or working overseas
  • a foreign national living in the UK
  • living outside the UK whilst owning a UK business
  • coming to the UK for employment on a work assignment
  • a company with internationally mobile employees

Residence and Domicile Status

Residence status is key to where and how you are taxed. Our expat tax team can advise you on the implications of residence in different countries and the impact of the Double Tax Treaties. We can determine your tax liabilities, particularly if your personal situation is more complex, such as having assets in one country whilst living in another.

We can also advise you on options, dependent on your domiciled status. Determining the correct status will ensure that we make the best choices for your situation, ensure that you are taxed in the correct jurisdiction and that treaty exemptions are properly claimed in each country.

The field of expat tax is complex and ever changing. If you are unsure how the tax rules will effect you, our experts can advise on :

  • your current tax residence status
  • reducing your tax burden
  • application of relevant double tax treaties
  • implications of property and asset sales and capital gains tax regimes

Our expatriate client base ranges from retirees to international employees from leading global companies such as Google, Microsoft, Schlumberger, HSBC, Morgan Stanley, Hewlett Packard, ARM, NASDAQ, Blackberry, Ferrari F1, Chubb, Qatar Airways, British Airways, the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford


UK +44 (0)208 068 1400

Expatriate Tax Updates